Are You Losing Your Job Because You Won’t COMPLY to Get the Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccine? How to File a Discrimination Complaint in CT

Report by Paula Antolini, September 10, 2021, 6:18PM EDT

According to the CT Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities, on

Here is how to file a discrimination complaint:

Connecticut law prohibits illegal discrimination in the areas of employment, housing, public accommodations, and credit transactions. To understand what illegal discrimination is, go to the Who’s Protected page (also view info. below). If you believe you have experienced illegal discrimination, the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities will investigate your allegation without cost to you. 

Complaints must generally be filed within 300 days of the date of the alleged act of discrimination in the areas of employment, credit transactions, and places of public accommodations made against state agencies. Complaints must be in writing and under oath. Your reasonably written complaint must be filed in a Commission office and entered into the Commission records before the 300-day time frame expires. Complaints of discrimination in housing or in places of public accommodations other than those involving a state agency must be filed within 180 days of the date of the alleged act of discrimination.

A person wishing to file a complaint should contact an intake officer at one of the Commission’s regional offices. The intake worker will discuss your concerns, explain our complaint process and advise you about what help CHRO may be able to provide to you. If a complaint can be taken, you will be given an appointment to come to a regional office to file a complaint.

If you are interested in filing an employment, public accommodation, or credit transaction discrimination complaint, go to the contacting us page now to find the town in which the alleged discriminatory act took place and the phone number of the Regional Office that serves that town.


Who Is Protected

The four areas in which discrimination is illegal are employment transactions, housing transactions, the full and equal enjoyment of goods, services or facilities offered to the general public and credit transactions.

If decisions regarding these types of transactions are based on the following reasons, they may be illegal and you may have a good reason to file a complaint with CHRO:

Age, ancestry, color, learning disability, marital status, intellectual disability, national origin, physical disability, mental disability, race, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and status as a veteran.

The following apply to only housing and public accommodation transactions: lawful source of income and use of a guide dog.

Familial status is protected in housing transactions only.

Additionally, a protected area in employment transactions by the state is prior criminal record, with certain exceptions.

Employment transactions include recruiting, referring,  terms & conditions of employment, hiring, classifying, training, promotion, advertising, discharge, laying off, compensation, by employers, employment agencies and labor organizations.

Credit transactions include loans, mortgages or any other credit transaction.

If you think you may have experienced illegal discrimination, please contact the Commission’s Central Office here.