Report by Paula Antolini, April 4, 2019, 4:37PM EDT
This National Weather Service has issued a RED FLAG WARNING and Hazardous Weather Outlook is for southern Connecticut, northeast New Jersey and southeast New York.
A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are expected or occurring. A combination of strong winds, low relative humidity, and dry fuels will create a significantly elevated fire growth potential.
CONDITIONS FAVORABLE FOR FIRE SPREAD…
RED FLAG WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING FOR SOUTHEAST NEW YORK…NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY…AND SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT…
* Affected Areas…All of southeast New York, northeast New Jersey, and southern Connecticut.
* Timing…Into early this evening.
* Winds…Northwest 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Highest winds across southern Connecticut.
* Relative Humidity…10 to 15 percent.
* Impacts…Gusty winds and very dry air will create conditions that may promote the rapid spread of wildfires if ignition occurs.