Mother and Boyfriend Accused of Withholding Food and Restraining 11-Year-Old Girl Found Dead in Storage Bin in New Britain

Kathi Mullen
Published On:
Mother and Boyfriend Accused of Withholding Food and Restraining 11-Year-Old Girl Found Dead in Storage Bin in New Britain

New Britain, CT — A heartbreaking investigation into the death of 11-year-old Jacqueline “Mimi” Torres-Garcia has led to new charges against a man already accused in the young girl’s murder.

Authorities say the child endured weeks of abuse, starvation, and physical restraint before her body was discovered in a storage tote behind an abandoned property in New Britain on October 8, 2024.

Young Girl Found Dead in Storage Bin

Police responded to Clark Street after receiving an anonymous tip about a possible body left near an abandoned home. Officers soon located a storage bin that contained the naked and deceased body of Mimi, who had been missing from her home.

The disturbing discovery launched an extensive investigation that revealed horrifying details of alleged abuse inside the household.

Mother and Boyfriend Accused of Extreme Abuse

Investigators arrested the child’s mother, Karla Garcia, and her boyfriend, Jonatan Nanita, earlier this year. The couple shares three other children together.

Court documents obtained by investigators detail weeks of alleged punishment that included restricting food and forcibly restraining Mimi using zip ties. The warrant states the pair withheld food for two weeks leading up to her death, causing severe physical decline.

Karla’s sister and the child’s aunt, Jackelyn Garcia, was also arrested and charged with child cruelty and unlawful restraint for allegedly participating in the abusive punishment, as per the reports.

More Charges Filed Against Boyfriend

This week, Nanita received two additional charges, including:

  • Tampering with physical evidence
  • Violation of regulations regarding the disposition of a dead body

Authorities believe Nanita attempted to hide Mimi’s body to conceal the crime. The warrant notes that he was seen picking up a tote in a cemetery area before driving it to 80 Clark Street, where the body was later found.

Death Believed to Have Occurred in September

While police were initially uncertain about when Mimi died, warrants reveal that Karla Garcia told her sister that the child passed on September 19, 2024. Investigators believe the young girl died from prolonged abuse rather than a sudden event.

Karla reportedly told police that Nanita directed most of the punishments. She also claimed he brought the girl’s body downstairs after she died, but she did not know where he took it.

A Girl Failed by Those Who Should Have Protected Her

Mimi routinely spent time in the community and was known to neighbors. Police have not disclosed who initially alerted them to her death, but the tip played a crucial role in uncovering what happened to the child.

Authorities continue their investigation while working to secure justice for the 11-year-old victim.

Charges Expected to Grow as Investigation Continues

Both Garcia and Nanita are currently charged with:

  • Murder
  • Child endangerment-related offenses
  • Multiple abuse-related charges

More charges could be added once the medical examiner confirms Mimi’s official cause of death.

This case has shaken the New Britain community. Do you believe the current charges are enough? What more should be done to protect vulnerable children?

Share your thoughts respectfully in the comments below.

Kathi Mullen

Kathi Mullen

Kathi Mullen is a dedicated news reporter with a sharp instinct for breaking stories and a passion for delivering accurate, compelling journalism. She covers everything from local developments to national headlines, always aiming to inform and engage her readers with clarity and integrity.

Leave a Comment