Indianapolis Hit-and-Run Claims Life of 34-year-old Motorcyclist; Suspect Arrested

Kathi Mullen
Published On:
Indianapolis Hit-and-Run Claims Life of 34-year-old Motorcyclist; Suspect Arrested

Indianapolis, IN – A Greenwood man is facing multiple criminal charges after a fatal hit-and-run crash on I-65 claimed the life of a 34-year-old motorcyclist on Friday night. The tragedy highlights the dangers of reckless driving and the devastating consequences of leaving the scene of an accident.

Fatal Crash Details

The crash occurred in the southbound lanes of I-65 near Southport Road around 10:45 p.m.. According to court records, Ryan King, 34, was riding his motorcycle when he was struck by a blue Chevy Camaro. The impact threw King off the bike onto the interstate, resulting in fatal injuries.

The suspect, 20-year-old Bhavjit Singh Gill of Greenwood, allegedly drove nearly four miles with the victim’s motorcycle still attached to his vehicle before abandoning the Camaro at the County Line Road exit ramp.

Witnesses reported that the suspect was speeding and driving recklessly, while the victim was following normal traffic rules.

Suspect’s Actions After the Crash

Court records indicate that Gill fled the scene and made several phone calls to mislead authorities:

  • Approximately 15 minutes after the crash, he reportedly called a tow truck, claiming the vehicle had been stolen.
  • About 30 minutes later, he contacted officers from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department at his business on Arlington Avenue, again claiming his car had been stolen.

During questioning, police noted that Gill appeared intoxicated, but he eventually confessed to the crash. He told investigators he had been scared because of issues with his driver’s license.

“The minute you take possession of a license and start driving, you are responsible for what happens behind the wheel of that vehicle,” said Indiana State Police Captain Ron Galaviz.

Criminal Charges

Bhavjit Singh Gill now faces numerous charges, including:

  • Leaving the scene of a crash
  • Causing death while intoxicated
  • Reckless homicide
  • Obstruction of justice
  • Violating driving restrictions

Court documents also reveal that the suspect had a lengthy history of traffic violations and admitted he was not legally allowed to drive late at night. In August, he had been granted special restricted driving privileges in Johnson County.

Police collected a blood sample from Gill, though results had not yet been released at the time of reporting.

Community and Law Enforcement Response

Authorities urge drivers to take responsibility behind the wheel.

“Big picture message is do your part. You have a responsibility, we all do, to do our best to follow the rules of the road,” said Captain Galaviz.

This incident serves as a reminder of the serious consequences of reckless and impaired driving. Leaving the scene of a crash, especially one involving fatalities, not only endangers lives but also carries severe legal consequences.

Gill had his initial court hearing this week in Marion County and is being held on a $3,200 cash bond. Authorities continue to investigate the case, emphasizing the importance of road safety for all motorists and pedestrians.

What measures do you think could prevent tragedies like this on Indianapolis highways? Share your thoughts in the comments below and join the conversation on road safety.

Kathi Mullen

Kathi Mullen

Kathi Mullen is a dedicated news reporter with a sharp instinct for breaking stories and a passion for delivering accurate, compelling journalism. She covers everything from local developments to national headlines, always aiming to inform and engage her readers with clarity and integrity.

Leave a Comment