Bronx Violence Surge: Teen Shot Near NYCHA Complex, Day after Another Teen Stabbing

Kathi Mullen
Published On:
Bronx Violence Surge Teen Shot Near NYCHA Complex, Day after Another Teen Stabbing

Bronx, New York — A wave of violence swept through the Bronx this week, leaving several people injured, including a 16-year-old boy who was shot Friday morning on the grounds of a public housing complex, according to authorities.

Teen Shot at NYCHA’s William McKinley Houses

The shooting occurred around 9:30 a.m. near East 161st Street and Forest Avenue, within the NYCHA William McKinley Houses in the Morrisania neighborhood, police said.

The teen victim was shot in the back and rushed to Harlem Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, according to the NYPD.

Investigators said details about the shooter or motive remain unclear. Police are actively searching for the suspect and reviewing surveillance footage from nearby buildings.

Violence Follows Teen Stabbing Near Yankee Stadium

The shooting took place just one day after another Bronx teen was stabbed during a brawl that erupted blocks from Yankee Stadium, police said.

That incident unfolded around 9 a.m. Thursday at East 163rd Street and Grand Concourse in Concourse Village. A young male was stabbed in the right side of his stomach during a fight involving three other kids, officials reported.

The injured teen was also transported to Harlem Hospital, where he remains in stable condition, as per The Post.

Authorities are investigating whether the two incidents are connected or part of a larger pattern of youth violence in the Bronx.

Two Adults Shot Hours Earlier in Fordham Heights

Adding to the troubling streak of violence, police said that just after midnight on Thursday, two adults were shot in a separate incident in Fordham Heights.

A 27-year-old man and a 42-year-old woman were struck by gunfire while standing outside a building on Briggs Avenue near East Kingsbridge Road, according to law enforcement.

Both victims were taken to a nearby hospital and are expected to recover. No arrests have been made in connection with that shooting either.

Community Reacts to Spike in Bronx Violence

Residents and local community leaders expressed concern over the rising number of violent incidents involving teens in the Bronx. Many are calling for increased police presence and community intervention programs to curb youth-related violence before it escalates further.

Neighborhood organizations have been urging parents to engage more closely with local youth programs and after-school initiatives, stressing the need to provide safe spaces for teenagers to avoid confrontations that lead to tragedy.

Authorities have also been highlighting the importance of conflict resolution education, community outreach, and better surveillance in high-risk neighborhoods like Morrisania, Concourse Village, and Fordham Heights.

Police Investigation Ongoing

As of Friday evening, police had not announced any arrests in any of the three incidents. Detectives continue to canvass the areas, interviewing witnesses and collecting evidence.

The NYPD is urging anyone with information about the shootings or the stabbing to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS.

Do you think enough is being done to stop youth violence in the Bronx? Share your thoughts in the comments — what should be done to make these neighborhoods safer for young people?

Kathi Mullen

Kathi Mullen

Kathi Mullen is a dedicated news reporter with a sharp instinct for breaking stories and a passion for delivering accurate, compelling journalism. She covers everything from local developments to national headlines, always aiming to inform and engage her readers with clarity and integrity.

Leave a Comment