Dallas, Texas — A 70-year-old man who had been sought for almost four decades in connection with the aggravated sexual assault of a child in Dallas County has finally been taken into custody after authorities caught him at the U.S.–Mexico border earlier this month.
Fugitive Arrested During Border Inspection
According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Roberto Gallegos Hernandez, a Mexican citizen, was arrested on Nov. 12 at the Laredo Port of Entry. Hernandez was reportedly traveling as a passenger in a vehicle attempting to cross into the United States when officers directed the car for secondary inspection.
During the routine background check, CBP officers found a decades-old outstanding warrant, issued by the Dallas County Sheriff’s Office in 1987, for aggravated sexual assault of a child. Once confirmed, Hernandez was taken into custody without incident.
He was later transported to the Webb County Jail, where he is currently being held.
CBP Praises Officers for Long-Awaited Capture
Port Director Alberto Flores praised his officers for their vigilance and persistence, noting that Hernandez’s arrest highlights the agency’s commitment to public safety.
“It was a long time coming — nearly 40 years — but CBP officers at the Laredo Port of Entry encountered and brought to justice a traveler wanted on a longtime outstanding warrant for a sex-related offense against a child,” Flores said.
He emphasized that Hernandez’s arrest reflects CBP’s “continued commitment to protecting communities” and reinforced the agency’s stance that harm against children is intolerable.
Warrant Dates Back to 1987
While the warrant is over three decades old, Hernandez had not been located until now. Officials have not said whether he had been living in Mexico during that time or whether he had recently attempted to re-enter the United States.

What remains consistent is that the Dallas County Sheriff’s Office had maintained an active warrant for his arrest since 1987, ensuring that if he ever resurfaced at a checkpoint or during a background check, he could be taken into custody.
Authorities Provide Limited Details About the Case
For now, many details surrounding the original criminal case still remain unknown. Dallas County officials have not yet issued a public statement regarding Hernandez’s arrest, and court records related to the decades-old charge have not been released.
In situations involving historic warrants — especially those related to crimes against children — it is not uncommon for records to be sealed or unavailable, particularly when the case predates digital archiving.
Officials have also not stated when Hernandez will be extradited or transferred back to Dallas County to face the longstanding charge.
CBP Stresses Importance of Border Screening
Hernandez’s capture underscores the crucial role played by border security checkpoints, where even routine screenings can lead to major arrests. CBP officers frequently rely on extensive nationwide law enforcement databases to identify individuals with outstanding warrants, expired visas, trafficking histories, or prior deportations.
In this case, that vigilance helped close in on a person who had been out of reach for nearly four decades.
Should border security systems be expanded to catch more long-time fugitives like this? Drop your thoughts in the comments — your perspective matters.










