Putnam County, Indiana — Traffic came to a standstill Tuesday night along a stretch of Interstate 70 westbound after at least 18 vehicles, including several semi-trucks, were involved in a series of crashes spanning two counties, according to the Indiana State Police (ISP) and the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT).
Crashes Stretch Across 5-Mile Section of I-70
The pileups began around 5 p.m., when INDOT first reported a major crash in Morgan County, between IN 39 and Shupe Road, roughly nine miles west of Plainfield. The incident shut down multiple lanes and triggered heavy delays along the interstate.
By the time troopers and local responders reached the scene, the situation had escalated. According to ISP officials, multiple crashes occurred across a 5-mile stretch of I-70, ultimately involving at least 18 cars and semis.
Morgan County: Semi Strikes Cable Barrier
ISP confirmed that the Morgan County crash involved a semi-truck that struck a cable barrier, becoming tangled in the wires. Despite the unsettling scene, troopers said no injuries occurred in this particular crash.
INDOT reported that all westbound lanes in Morgan County were fully reopened by 7:30 p.m., though many drivers sat through “significant” delays as tow trucks, firefighters, and troopers worked to clear the roadway.
Putnam County: Crash Near Mile Marker 37
Just minutes after the Morgan County crash, another significant incident was reported in Putnam County near mile marker 37 — about three miles west of Cloverdale.
This crash also shut down all westbound lanes, creating additional backups for commuters. By 7 p.m., INDOT confirmed that lanes had reopened, but the cumulative impact of back-to-back crashes contributed to long waits for drivers attempting to pass through the region.
ISP: Multiple Crashes Triggered by Original Collision
Around 6 p.m., ISP Sgt. Matt Ames confirmed that troopers had been dispatched to multiple crash scenes along the same 5-mile stretch. Sgt. Ames said at least 18 vehicles — a mix of passenger cars and semi-trucks — were part of the collisions.
Later in the evening, the Monroe Township Fire Department (MTFD) provided additional clarification. According to MTFD, there were five separate crashes, all stemming from an initial collision that set off a chain reaction of secondary crashes as traffic rapidly slowed.
Medics Evaluate Several People, No Hospitalizations
MTFD reported that multiple individuals were evaluated by medics at the scene, but none of the patients required transport to a hospital. Emergency responders credited the quick reaction of nearby drivers — along with seatbelt use — for preventing more serious injuries.
Despite the dramatic number of vehicles involved, the entire series of incidents resulted in zero reported injuries, something officials described as “remarkably fortunate.”
Traffic Reopens, Investigation Continues
By 7:30 p.m., INDOT confirmed that all lanes on the affected section of westbound I-70 had been reopened. However, the agency cautioned that drivers should continue to expect intermittent slowdowns as cleanup crews and investigators finalize their work.
ISP has not yet released details about what caused the original crash, but weather, speed, and visibility conditions are all being reviewed as part of the ongoing investigation.
What’s Your Take?
This multi-crash chain reaction could’ve been far worse — especially with so many semis involved.
Do you think Indiana needs more safety upgrades on I-70, or was this just a freak traffic incident? Drop your thoughts in the comments!










