Galveston, TX — A Central Middle School student is being praised for her bravery after she fought off a masked man who allegedly tried to abduct her on her way to school early Monday morning in Galveston.
Teen Says Her Instincts Helped Save Her
The middle school girl, whose identity is being protected due to her age, described the terrifying encounter that unfolded just before 7 a.m. near the 900 block of 28th Street, according to the Galveston Police Department.
She recalled hearing hurried footsteps behind her. When she turned, she saw a man wearing a ski mask sprinting toward her.
“He put his hands around my face, and I just started biting,” she told KPRC 2 News. “Then I slid down his body and bit him in his private area, and he let go.”
Shaken but determined, she screamed and ran several more blocks to reach the safety of her school. A teacher immediately contacted authorities while the suspect fled in the opposite direction.
Police Searching for Injured Suspect
Investigators believe the attacker may have suffered visible bite wounds. Police quickly notified area hospitals and clinics to be alert for anyone receiving treatment for similar injuries, but no leads have yet been confirmed.
The teen said she is convinced the man was watching her beforehand, noting how quickly he moved toward her from behind.
Her quick thinking? That came from her parents.
“My parents always told me if someone tries to grab you — don’t be silent. Kick, scream, fight. Don’t let them take you,” she said.
Transportation Policy Changes Raise Concerns
The student had begun walking to school this year — a major change from last year when she used the bus. Her home is located about one mile from Central Middle School.
Galveston ISD confirmed that due to updated transportation guidelines, students living less than two miles from their school no longer qualify for district buses.
A district spokesperson said:
“Student safety remains GISD’s top priority, and bus routes are designed with safety, accessibility, and efficiency in mind.”
However, this incident has raised concerns among families who feel walking alone places children at greater risk.
Teen No Longer Comfortable Walking Alone
The survivor says she won’t be walking to school anymore — the frightening experience has made her too afraid.
What worries her most now isn’t her own safety — it’s the possibility that others could be targeted next.
“I’m worried about him getting other little kids who don’t know what to do,” she said. “Someone younger than me might not be able to react.”
Authorities Still Searching for Suspect
As of now, no arrest has been made. The Galveston Police Department continues to investigate and is urging the public to remain vigilant.
Galveston ISD also encourages families to:
- Walk in groups when possible
- Stay aware of surroundings
- Report suspicious behavior immediately
Police are asking anyone with security footage or information related to 28th Street near the time of the attempted abduction to contact authorities right away.
A Community Calling for Action
Parents and residents are expressing serious concerns about student safety and the need for improved transportation or community-led safety patrols.
The teen’s heroic actions may have prevented a tragedy, but her family — and many others — want answers and accountability.
What Do You Think?
Should transportation policies be reconsidered for students walking alone?
What more can be done to keep kids safe on their way to school?
Share your thoughts and support for this brave student in the comments below.










