33-Year-Old Hartford Man Caught after Reckless Driving Chase in Middletown; Loaded Ghost Gun Busted

Kathi Mullen
Published On:
33-Year-Old Hartford Man Caught after Reckless Driving Chase in Middletown; Loaded Ghost Gun Busted

Middletown, CT — A 33-year-old man from Hartford was arrested Thursday after a reckless driving incident in Middletown escalated into a police chase and the recovery of a loaded handgun, according to law enforcement officials.

Police Spot Reckless Driver on Liberty Street

According to the Middletown Police Department, officers observed a black BMW speeding westbound on Liberty Street, running through multiple stop signs at intersections.

Authorities said the driver, later identified as Alton Malabre, 33, of Hartford, ignored traffic laws and continued driving erratically before turning into a private driveway in an attempt to evade police.

“When officers were able to catch up to the vehicle, it quickly turned into a private driveway,” police said in a statement.

Suspect Attempts to Flee on Foot

As officers approached, Malabre exited the vehicle and was reportedly armed with a handgun, prompting police to pursue him on foot.

Following a brief foot chase, officers were able to apprehend Malabre without further incident. During a search of the area, police located a loaded, black, un-serialized handgun near where the suspect had been running.

Authorities confirmed that the firearm and vehicle were both seized as evidence.

Arrest and Charges

Alton Malabre was taken into custody and charged accordingly, police said. While officials did not specify all the counts, charges are expected to include reckless driving, interfering with an officer, and illegal possession of a firearm.

Malabre was held on a $500,000 bond and made his first court appearance on Friday.

Investigators said additional charges could be filed pending the outcome of the ongoing investigation into the unregistered firearm and reckless endangerment violations.

Police Commend Quick Response

The Middletown Police Department commended officers for their swift response, emphasizing how quickly a routine traffic incident can turn dangerous.

“This case highlights the dangers officers face daily when suspects are armed and choose to flee,” one police spokesperson said. “We’re grateful no one was injured during this pursuit.”

Officials added that the recovered handgun lacked a serial number, a growing concern among law enforcement agencies dealing with “ghost guns” — untraceable firearms often assembled from parts and sold illegally.

Community Safety Emphasis

Local residents have praised police for their quick action in containing the situation before anyone in the neighborhood was harmed. Community leaders continue to urge drivers to obey traffic laws and remind the public that reckless driving poses risks not just to the driver but to everyone on the road.

Law enforcement agencies across Connecticut have been increasing traffic patrols and gun enforcement operations following a recent spike in reckless driving and firearm-related arrests statewide.

What are your thoughts on this Middletown police chase? Share your views in the comments — should Connecticut impose stricter penalties for reckless drivers found with illegal guns?

Kathi Mullen

Kathi Mullen

Kathi Mullen is a dedicated news reporter with a sharp instinct for breaking stories and a passion for delivering accurate, compelling journalism. She covers everything from local developments to national headlines, always aiming to inform and engage her readers with clarity and integrity.

Leave a Comment